Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chad Ford: Bulls Rejected Murphy+Pietrus
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
Powerhouse
RealGM

Hey,im new here ive been reading your forums for quite awhile now and I decided to finally join. It looks like this site is growing pretty fast and Im glad to be here.
The Dude Abides
From a player standpoint, I would have prefered Murphy and Pietrus..but from a contract standpoint...it wasnt a good move. Nice job Pax!! cap felxibility was the key to this deal.
SoxFan1
He rejected Pietrus and Murphy for Tyson Chandler?!? Ugh...
Goldmember
QUOTE (The Dude Abides @ Jul 6 2006, 06:55 PM)
From a player standpoint, I would have prefered Murphy and Pietrus..but from a contract standpoint...it wasnt a good move. Nice job Pax!! cap felxibility was the key to this deal.

agreed. it sucks but pax was trying to think ahead...
The Gladiator
I would say it was a good desicion.
heirdog
I think it was absolutely the right decision. Troy Murphy is a taller Nocioni in terms of what he likes to do on offense (without the toughness of Nocioni). He is not a post scorer. More importantly, he had the same money left on his contract as Chandler. Pietrus, while he could breakout like Diaw, is very similar to Thabo in terms of skill...athletic defender that could be in the guard rotation. PJ Brown offers a veteran locker room presence and someone that at 6'11 can hit shots from the elbow and rebound. Most importantly, he has an expiring contract. JR Smith is entering his third year of a rookie deal and has a lot of upside and is an asset because he is a 20-year-old trading chip with a rookie contract. If he sticks and realizes his potential....great. If not, he will definitely be shipped off at the trading deadline or next year for other assets or championship parts.

Pax is building up assets. Wallace, as an established star in the league and Hinrich (very soon) are all set in terms of cornerstones for our championship. I think the pecking order then goes Nocioni, Gordon, Deng in terms of getting the rest signed. Of course if Gordon or Deng really break out next year, the order could change. Then, you have a bunch of expiring deals and rookie contract types that will either be a part of the future (Thomas, Thabo) or be valuable pieces to use in sign-and-trades (JR Smith, Duhon, PJ Brown, Sweetney, Allen, etc.). With the NY Draft pick in 2007, our own draft pick, and all those assets, we are able to really go after the deep FA crop in 2007. Who wouldn't want to come play with us?
bulls91
QUOTE (The Gladiator @ Jul 6 2006, 08:12 PM)
I would say it was a good desicion.

it was the best one he could have done knowing our position in a few years with all the core players re-signing.
Giant Killer
Good move by Pax. He's obviously setting him self up financially, for the future.
madisonsmadhouse
Interesting. I have to agree from a player perspective, the Golden State offer was way better, but that would have added two long term deals, whereas we can be completely free of Tysons contract essentially in two years.
Steve9347
unless he's got another move on the table, its a no brainer to go with murphy/pietrus.

this just tells me there's more to come.
Waffles
I agree that having flexible cap space is key with any great organization, just in case adjustments need to be made.
bschmaranz
We'd essentially be dealing one albatross of a contract (Chandler) or another (Murphy).
eddog2
QUOTE (steve9347 @ Jul 7 2006, 11:16 AM)
unless he's got another move on the table, its a no brainer to go with murphy/pietrus.

this just tells me there's more to come.

It is not a no brainer. Who wants Murphy's oversized contract when you already just signed one to Wallace. Not only that but Pietrus is another Sefolosha. Good enough to be okay but not a potential star. J.R. Smith = potential star/high trade value P.J. Brown = leadership/money in the bank
Steve9347
QUOTE (eddog2 @ Jul 7 2006, 12:24 PM)
It is not a no brainer. Who wants Murphy's oversized contract when you already just signed one to Wallace. Not only that but Pietrus is another Sefolosha. Good enough to be okay but not a potential star. J.R. Smith = potential star/high trade value P.J. Brown = leadership/money in the bank

word to your mother, edwin.

ps, what do you think of my new sig?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.