Rising junior has offer from Illini
Power forward from Farragut is top prospect in state's Class of 2008
Saturday, July 8, 2006
By JOHN SUPINIE / COPLEY NEWS SERVICE

INDIANAPOLIS - The scholarship offers piled up for Michael Dunigan before he reached his junior season at Chicago Farragut. But it really didn't impress the 6-foot-9, 235-pound power forward, the top rated recruit in the state of Illinois' class of 2008.

"I like all the offers,'' said Dunigan, popping open a broad smile during an interview session at the Nike All-America Camp. "Right now, I'm trying to work on my test scores.''

As for the recruiting process, Dunigan already sounded like a guy who could take it or leave it.

"Some people call the house, and I don't even pick up the phone,'' he said. "It's like they're stalkers.''

Chicago Hales Franciscan guard Matt Humphrey, an incoming junior and a fast-rising talent, didn't receive an invitation to the Nike All-America Camp until Wednesday morning - the same day the camp began.

"It gives me a chance to get my name out there more,'' he said.

The Illini plan to award two scholarships to the class of 2008. Dunigan and Humphrey are prime targets.

Dunigan, who planned to seek a degree in a computer-related field, will take the ACT in September. He didn't appear too worried about the process. Dunigan had all As last semester and carries a 4.0 grade-point average, he said.

He's also scoring big with recruiters. Illinois, Wisconsin and DePaul have already offered scholarships, he said. Dunigan also is interested in Iowa and Miami.

Dunigan entered the Nike camp rated No. 13 nationally in his class by scout.com. He found himself the center of attention at Illinois' team camp at Moody Bible Institute in Chicago earlier this summer.

"It was steady, people just talking,'' Dunigan said.

Defense and rebounding are Dunigan's strengths, he said. At the Nike camp, Dunigan wasn't the biggest fish in the pond.

"I want to step my game up a notch,'' he said. "Everybody is bigger than me. I'm used to being the biggest person in Chicago.''

Humphrey is an athletic 6-5, 175-pounder who built a reputation as a perimeter shooter. The left-hander helped Hales reach the Final Four at the Illinois team camp at Moody, and Humphrey already made an unofficial recruiting visit to Illinois.

"A lot of schools want me,'' he said. "I do have a list, but I haven't taken any schools out yet. Illinois is definitely right up there. I've talked to them a lot. I call them. Now they can text message me.''

Wisconsin, Notre Dame, Miami, Georgia, Georgia Tech, DePaul, Marquette and Syracuse also interest Humphrey.

Like Dunigan, Humphrey also is a strong student.

Humphrey plays AAU ball for Mean Street Express, the same team that includes Chicago Simeon star Derrick Rose.

Meanwhile, Cleveland-area power forward Delvon Roe, ranked No. 14 nationally among incoming seniors, has dropped Illinois down his list. Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State and Indiana apparently are ahead of the Illini, though Roe still may take an unofficial visit to Illinois in August.

http://www.pjstar.com/stories/070806/ILL_BAAQ8G0H.077.shtml