Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bulls 2007-2008 Catch-All Thread
TalkBulls Forums > Help Section > The Archives
Pages: 1, 2
RME JICO
With the Free Agency upon us, it seems like a good time to have a catch-all thread for posts like this:

The Chicago Bulls are also interested in acquiring the rights to Spanish league power forward Luis Scola from the San Antonio Spurs.

Bulls forward Andres Nocioni is not likely to be involved in a trade to the Spurs. The Bulls may offer guard Chris Duhon if he is not included in a larger deal.

This guys seems like a sleeper Pax would go after.
dasox24
QUOTE (RME JICO @ Jul 5 2007, 06:43 PM) *
With the Free Agency upon us, it seems like a good time to have a catch-all thread for posts like this:

I wouldn't mind picking up Scola if all we had to give up was Duhon. He's a little old (27) for having never played in the Association, but he's definitely talented and could be a huge surprise. Probably would have been playing in the NBA much longer if he wasn't making millions under contract overseas.
SoxFan1
Pinned. smile.gif
Chisoxfn
QUOTE (RME JICO @ Jul 5 2007, 04:43 PM) *

Wow, this would be a fantastic move if all it took was Scalia. I'd assume we would use part of the MLE on Scalia as well.
SoxFan1
QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 6 2007, 01:54 AM) *
Wow, this would be a fantastic move if all it took was Scalia. I'd assume we would use part of the MLE on Scalia as well.

Scola. Not that hard. laugh.gif
madisonsmadhouse
Looking at some of the old draft stuff on Scola, he seems like he would be a good fit. They describe him as a big man with good passing skills, who can run the floor, and with a jumper out to about 15 feet. It sounds like he might not be the strongest guy in the world, but you don't really have to be in the Bulls system.
Chisoxfn
QUOTE (madisonsmadhouse @ Jul 6 2007, 04:15 AM) *
Looking at some of the old draft stuff on Scola, he seems like he would be a good fit. They describe him as a big man with good passing skills, who can run the floor, and with a jumper out to about 15 feet. It sounds like he might not be the strongest guy in the world, but you don't really have to be in the Bulls system.

He is the best big playing in the Euro Leagues right now and from all the international reports I read they seem to think he'd be able to come over and have some success. I wonder if he'd be much of a defensive player becuase most of the Euro bigs play a softer style of basketball, especially ones that have spent a lot of time in Europe (Darko is a rare exception but he too plays a lot more soft than you would like).
Bullseye
Besides for the experience factor, I fail to see how we upgraded this season compared to last year. We still don't have that low post scorer, and we are paying pretty much backup SF/PF close to 8 million.
SoxFan1
QUOTE (Bullseye @ Jul 14 2007, 12:16 AM) *
Besides for the experience factor, I fail to see how we upgraded this season compared to last year.

Well, first off, the off-season isn't over yet. We still don't know the situations with PJ and Duhon. Those could be a big factor in the make-up of the team. Smith is better than PJ, so there is some improvement in the starting 5. Noah, Curry, and Gray give us some good depth.

Smith, Noah, Curry, Gray > Brown, Allen, Sweetney, Barrett. That's what it's boiling down to right now. Technically, we've gotten much younger but much more athletic.
dasox24
In other news, the Bulls wrapped up their Orlando Summer League experience with a loss to the Nets. TT did not play again and probably won't play in Utah, where the Bulls traveled to tonight after their loss. JamesOn capped off a good showing in Orlando with 19 pts on 8-13 shooting and 6 assists. Here's a little snippet of what Skiles had to say about him:
"JamesOn is picking up what we're doing well," coach Scott Skiles said. "He has good quickness and does good things with the ball."

I'd like to say that I'm glad we're playing in 2 summer leagues this year. It does nothing but help these young guys get more experience playing against teams that while aren't loaded with NBA talent, do have more talent than most college teams these guys played against.
Chisoxfn
QUOTE (Bullseye @ Jul 13 2007, 10:16 PM) *
Besides for the experience factor, I fail to see how we upgraded this season compared to last year. We still don't have that low post scorer, and we are paying pretty much backup SF/PF close to 8 million.

Well lets see.

Tyrus Thomas > Tyrus Thomas of last year
Sefolosha > Sefolosha of last year
Deng could become an All Star this year
Gordon has gotten better every year and should again
Hinrich should be his steady self (and lets no forget how much better his shooting was last season) and hopefully more fresh this year

Nocioni will hopefully be healthy (people forget how well he was playing early in the season, prior to him getting hurt). He will still get tons of minutes and be a huge weapon (especially considering how bad the Bulls bench was in terms of scoring once Noc went down).

Joakim Noah is a better athlete than any other big we had last year (at least one that is 7 foot...Tyrus is the best athlete on the Bulls though).

Noah/Gray > Malik Allen/Sweetney
Joe Smith > PJ Brown

So pretty much the way I see it we are upgrading everywhere (with certain guys getting better and more talent being brought in).
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 14 2007, 01:36 PM) *
So pretty much the way I see it we are upgrading everywhere (with certain guys getting better and more talent being brought in).

You know what amazes me most about the job Paxson has done? He's had the opportunity to gamble everything over and over on quick fix after quick fix, and it seems each time, he's gone with the slow, steady program he set in motion when he grabbed Hinrich.

Move after move, at least to my eyes, seems to wind up looking like the right one down the line, and sometimes sooner. Drafting Hinrich with the 7 pick, swapping picks with Phoenix to get Deng, dumping Curry on the Knicks in exchange for cap room, and the picks that would become Noah and Tyrus, holding onto those picks rather than giving them up, going for Tyrus, grabbing BWall as a FA, and on and on and on.

It's just amazing to me how patient Pax has been in building this team, and how he's managed to at every step seem to find a solution that may very well work for the next 5+ years.

And man, a delete button would be so useful when the site freezes, and even doesn't show the post I sent in when I loaded it in a new window.
dasox24
QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Jul 15 2007, 12:15 AM) *
You know what amazes me most about the job Paxson has done? He's had the opportunity to gamble everything over and over on quick fix after quick fix, and it seems each time, he's gone with the slow, steady program he set in motion when he grabbed Hinrich.

Move after move, at least to my eyes, seems to wind up looking like the right one down the line, and sometimes sooner. Drafting Hinrich with the 7 pick, swapping picks with Phoenix to get Deng, dumping Curry on the Knicks in exchange for cap room, and the picks that would become Noah and Tyrus, holding onto those picks rather than giving them up, going for Tyrus, grabbing BWall as a FA, and on and on and on.

It's just amazing to me how patient Pax has been in building this team, and how he's managed to at every step seem to find a solution that may very well work for the next 5+ years.

I agree completely. So many GM's try to find "quick fixes" and stop gaps, and most of the time, it just hurts the team in the long run (i.e. Ainge and the Celtics). I must say that I've been in favor of this trade or that trade over the last year or so, but now (as I posted a few days ago in another thread) I just want to wait it out and see what this team can do. I may be overly optimistic, but if we need to, we have the assets to make a trade at the trade deadline, so why not keep what we have and see how it plays out? We're so young and yet so good. Pax really has done a splendid job.
DutheDoduhon21
the bulls are now looking to resign Lu and BG to long term extensions
After coming to terms with veteran free agent forward Joe Smith on a two-year contract, Chicago Bulls general manager John Paxson reiterated his commitment to signing Luol Deng and Ben Gordon to long-term extensions. Both players could command upward of five years and $50 million each in a new deal.
DutheDoduhon21
Bulls to formally introduce Fs Nocioni, Smith on Wednesday

im not sure what time, im assuming on CSN
eddog2
QUOTE (RME JICO @ Jul 5 2007, 06:59 PM) *

Scola reportedly is signing a 3 year $9.6 million dollar deal with the Rockets (plus $500K to help with his buyout). I'm predicting it now.

Rockets vs Bulls in the finals next year. Rockets win the title in 7 games.
dasox24
QUOTE (DutheDoduhon21 @ Jul 16 2007, 01:56 PM) *

Good. They better be looking to re-sign both of them. I think Gordon should get about $10 million per year, but no more, considering he's pretty one-dimensional. As for Deng, he should get like, what? $12 mil/yr for 4 years. Then he can become a free agent again when he's entering his prime, kind of like what LeBron, Bosh, and D-Wade did.
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jul 16 2007, 06:02 PM) *
Good. They better be looking to re-sign both of them. I think Gordon should get about $10 million per year, but no more, considering he's pretty one-dimensional. As for Deng, he should get like, what? $12 mil/yr for 4 years. Then he can become a free agent again when he's entering his prime, kind of like what LeBron, Bosh, and D-Wade did.

It would certainly be nice to add another year or two to Lu's deal beyond that if at all possible.
dasox24
QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Jul 16 2007, 08:32 PM) *
It would certainly be nice to add another year or two to Lu's deal beyond that if at all possible.

Oh, I agree completely. I just don't think he (or maybe I should say, his agent) would do that b/c he could get so much more money in his 2nd deal if his first deal only lasts 4 years. I guarantee that a 27-year-old Deng would get ridiculous amounts of money as a free agent b/c the years around that age will be the best of his career.
sport1016
my hope for deng is a 6 year 84 million deal.....that's an average of 14 million a year

that will be a good deal for deng and us bc ur right...at 27 he could get a max deal...he will be better and younger than rashard lewis was this offseason

Gordon my hope is 4-5 years and 9-10 million a year.

But I actually think that the bulls will extend deng but not gordon. I think he is gonna want starting SG money. If Kirk got 11 he's gonna want at least that and probably a little more. But the bulls arent sold on him starting. I bet they offer him not much more than Noc's deal, maybe 5 years 40 million and there's a stalemate. Gordon plays out the contract, and then Paxson decides whether he's worth starters money or sign and trade him.
SoxFan1
We need to get Gordon signed long-term, and we need to give Deng a life-long contract.
madisonsmadhouse
QUOTE (DutheDoduhon21 @ Jul 16 2007, 01:56 PM) *

Let me be the first to say that there is no way Gordon or especially Deng signs for that little money. I would be willing to bet Deng comes close to a max contract.
madisonsmadhouse
QUOTE (eddog2 @ Jul 16 2007, 07:49 PM) *
Scola reportedly is signing a 3 year $9.6 million dollar deal with the Rockets (plus $500K to help with his buyout). I'm predicting it now.

Rockets vs Bulls in the finals next year. Rockets win the title in 7 games.

Not a chance. McGrady would have to stay healthy, and we know that isn't going to happen.
taurus515th
I dont know why but for some strange reason i feel Paxson is not done making moves this offeseason. Other than a needing post-player, Paxson said he knows our backcourt is small and he would fix it. I really believe he will sign a player soon a veteran like Eddie Jones. The guy can give us defense and offense off the bench and isnt a young guy thats going to want lots of minutes nor a lot of money.

With Sefolosha developing, Duhon is only taking minutes from him. I really believe Duhon and Khryapa will be gone b4 the season starts.

-Hinrich/Curry
-Gordon/Thabo/Jones
-Deng/Nocioni/Griffin
-Thomas/Smith/Gray
-Wallace/Noah
Balta1701-B
It certainly does seem like Duhon and Khryapa should be packaged off somewhere to grab someone who might make a bigger impact than either of them. Right now, they're literally guys 13 and 14 on this roster.
Alpha Double Negative
Duhon is at WORST the 10th player on our roster. Unless you're putting him behind griffin, curry, gray, khryapa. which you shouldn't be right now.
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (Alpha Double Negative @ Jul 31 2007, 03:10 AM) *
Duhon is at WORST the 10th player on our roster. Unless you're putting him behind griffin, curry, gray, khryapa. which you shouldn't be right now.

From what I've gathered this offseason, performance on the court is not the only issue we're dealing with here.
madisonsmadhouse
QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Jul 31 2007, 11:31 AM) *
From what I've gathered this offseason, performance on the court is not the only issue we're dealing with here.

My question is who introduced Chris Duhon to Brian Anderson?
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (madisonsmadhouse @ Jul 31 2007, 10:09 AM) *
My question is who introduced Chris Duhon to Brian Anderson?

Brandon McCarthy.
Alpha Double Negative
QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Jul 31 2007, 11:31 AM) *

Really? I haven't read anything other than the occasional trade rumor when it comes to him. But we hear that for every player. I don't think Paxson is comfortable with Sefolosha or Gordon at the PG spot, and I don't think bulls fans should be either. Would I be surprised or upset if he was traded? no. I don't expect it though, at least not until midseason since he's expiring too.

the off the court boozing doesn't seem to have been brought up as an issue for a very long time anywhere other than here.
DPETE56
who else thinks that noah is completly nuts
madisonsmadhouse
QUOTE (DPETE56 @ Sep 17 2007, 09:03 PM) *
who else thinks that noah is completly nuts

Dennis Rodman was completely nuts, and I wouldn't have kicked him out of Chicago.
Rowand44
QUOTE (madisonsmadhouse @ Sep 18 2007, 08:48 AM) *
Dennis Rodman was completely nuts, and I wouldn't have kicked him out of Chicago.

Rodman was indeed nuts but he's one of the smarter players there was.
Balta1701-B
Big Ben doing an ESPN Sportsnation Chat in about 15 minutes.
Balta1701-B
Hopefully ESPN doesn't get too pissed @ me for doing this one.

Brian (NY, NY): Ben, is it just me, or do you seem to play better when you've got the full 'fro going, as opposed to the corn rows?

SportsNation Ben Wallace: (12:40 PM ET ) No, it's not just you. I think a little bit of everybody thinks that. Maybe I do, maybe I don't.

Henry (Buffalo): How important was it to you to make a shoe affordable for all kids out there?

SportsNation Ben Wallace: (12:40 PM ET ) It was very important. I knew when I was growing up, I couldn't afford the shoes I really wanted. This is a chance for people to buy the shoes and to help out not just the families buying the shoes, but the players playing the game. It was very important.

Kyle (Kansas): Ben, will you be wearing your Big Ben shoe this season?

SportsNation Ben Wallace: (12:41 PM ET ) Oh yeah. Most definitely. I wouldn't ask anyone else to wear them if I wasn't wearing them.

JJ: Sup Ben. Your take on Garnett and how will you stop him. Or can you stop him at all?

SportsNation Ben Wallace: (12:41 PM ET ) I think it's a good move for the Celtics. They're reloading and trying to make some things happen. They look good on paper. That's why we play the game.

Fred (Atlanta): What are we going to see opening night - fro or rows?

SportsNation Ben Wallace: (12:42 PM ET ) Oh we still have yet to decide. It's going to be a surprise for everybody. It might be something other than a fro or the rows.

Hakim from Anaheim, California: Hey Big Ben, what are your thoughts on Kobe Bryant's trade demands to chicago this summer, and if he did become a bull, would you welcome his arrival? Thanks! Hakim

SportsNation Ben Wallace: (12:43 PM ET ) Yeah, I would welcome him. I think he could do some things to help us get to the next level.

Deegan (Kentucky): Is there any talk about any other NBA players joining your shoe line?

SportsNation Ben Wallace: (12:43 PM ET ) Not at the moment, but we're always open.

Scott (chicago): What was your first impression of the Bulls? Has is changed at all, and what are you most excited about the upcoming season?

SportsNation Ben Wallace: (12:44 PM ET ) I think my first impression was that they were a young team that played hard. I'm excited that they had a chance to get a year under their belt. Now I think they're hungry to get at it.

Matt (Scranton, PA): Hey Big Ben...just wondering if there's gonna be any clothing to go along with the shoe line...Thanks....GO BULLS...

SportsNation Ben Wallace: (12:44 PM ET ) Yeah, we're going to have sweats, T-shirts, button up shirts. We're going to have clothing.

Robbie (Chicago): Have you seen Ty Thomas this summer yet? If so how much has he improved from last season?

SportsNation Ben Wallace: (12:45 PM ET ) I haven't seen him in person. I've talked to him. I think he's one of those guys that every year he can get in this league he's going to get better and improve.

Alan (new York, New York): hugh Bull Fan, What do you think of your new teamate Noah? what does he need to do to play on this level like he did in college. Also Tyrus Thomas looked good in the summer leauge do you think he is ready for the next level?

SportsNation Ben Wallace: (12:46 PM ET ) I think he's going to stay active. He can't get caught up in the hype of the NBA. He just has to come out and play. As long as he plays the same as he did the last couple of years in college, he'll be all right.

Frank (Chicago): Who will the Bulls be playing in the NBA finals this season?

SportsNation Ben Wallace: (12:46 PM ET ) Probably it will be the Suns. If the Suns are fortunate enough to get there.

Robbie (Chicago): Hey Ben whats up? So i was wodnering, do you think Deng will take the next step and become an all-star this year?

SportsNation Ben Wallace: (12:47 PM ET ) You know, being an all star is a popularity contest. We thought he should have been an all star last year, along with Ben Gordon. As long as they keep playing like all stars, we'll be happy with that.

Tom (MI): Ben, I was a little heartbroken when you left detroit because no center can replace your defense and defense wins championships. any chance of ever goin back to the pistons?

SportsNation Ben Wallace: (12:48 PM ET ) I don't really have any plans too. Even if I did, my defense wouldn't be as good as when I left.

Doug Chicago: Who do you think will have the biggest breakout season this year amongst the Baby Bulls?

SportsNation Ben Wallace: (12:48 PM ET ) I think last year Luol Deng had a breakout year. I think this year it will be Tyrus Thomas.

Andre (Chicago): If the Bulls don't make it to the Eastern Conference Finals will you feel like the season was a disappointment?

SportsNation Ben Wallace: (12:49 PM ET ) Not when you do it with a young team. It takes some time to where you're trying to go. This year, we're planning on getting to the East Finals. But if we don't, it will be another year of experience. Any time you can get the experience, it will benefit you in the long run.

Doug Chicago: Whose going to have the bigger fro this year, you or Joakim Noah?

SportsNation Ben Wallace: (12:50 PM ET ) Joakim is going to have the biggest fro, but I have the best known fro.

Sebastian (Honolulu): Big Ben, Bulls fan here. What's your take on why the West is viewed as a much stronger conference than the East?

SportsNation Ben Wallace: (12:51 PM ET ) I think because of the run and gun style of basketball. It's a little more attractive than the grind it out style in the East. I don't think the better basketball is in the West, I think it's in the East. We play both ends of the floor.

Scott (Chicago): Who was the one Bull that you didn't realize was that good until you played with him? Go Bulls!!!

SportsNation Ben Wallace: (12:52 PM ET ) Luol Deng. I knew he was long and he could get to the basket. I didn't realize how well he played on the defensive end and how much he does to change shots on the defensive end of the floor.

Fuad (Detroit, MI):: Hey Ben, do you still keep in touch with Sheed',Chauncey,Rip,Tay and those guys?

SportsNation Ben Wallace: (12:52 PM ET ) Yeah, I talk to all of those guys. I talk to at least two of those guys every week. I keep in touch with all of them.

KC (Portland, OR): Ben, how do you see the East matching up with the West this coming season? It seems like some teams have made some good moves, including the Bulls. Is this the year that the West domination starts to dwindle?

SportsNation Ben Wallace: (12:53 PM ET ) I definitely think that the East is going to be stronger than the West. That's still why we play the game. I guess the conference is only as good as the teams playing in it.

Nasir, Philly: Have you talked to Joe Smith? What do you think of his addition to the Bulls?

SportsNation Ben Wallace: (12:54 PM ET ) I haven't had a chance to talk with him much. I had the chance to play with him in Detroit. I know what he's capable of doing.

Brian (Pasadena, CA): Ben, right after the "headband" incident last year, the Bulls really turned it on. Did that game feel like a turning point for the team to you guys?

SportsNation Ben Wallace: (12:55 PM ET ) I think sometimes you're out there and you think you're focused and you're not really focused on the job. Sometimes a distraction is a good thing. WE had a chance to talk about somethings that we weren't able to talk about.

SportsNation Ben Wallace: (12:56 PM ET ) Thanks for the support. Continue to write, call and asking questions. Go out and pick up the new Big Ben Wallace shoes at Steve and Barry's stores on Oct. 29.
Balta1701-B
Captain Kirk opened up a Circuit City the other day.
Balta1701-B
Gordon drops by Oprah
Balta1701-B
Skiles was so impressed he said Gordon's work "ranks with the greatest summers I've seen." Paxson said he saw Gordon every time he looked out from his office overlooking the court. Ditto for Deng when he wasn't playing for Great Britain.

"I don't put anything past those two," Paxson said. "Luol's just 22 years old. His best basketball is ahead of him. I can see him getting better and his average going up, his game expanding. ... I think we have two guys who have the ability to score when we need scoring."

Gordon and Deng weren't the only ones staying busy over the summer. Forward Andres Nocioni dropped about 10 pounds to ease the plantar fasciitis in his right foot that caused him to miss 28 of 29 games down the stretch and limited him in the playoffs.

He said he's pain-free. His health is an important issue for a team that relies on his energy and ability to hit the 3-pointer.
Post-Trib.
madisonsmadhouse
There are two things that can derail this team

Ego and Injury.

If we avoid these problems, this is a damned good team, and I can't wait for the season to begin.
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (madisonsmadhouse @ Oct 3 2007, 06:51 AM) *
There are two things that can derail this team

Ego and Injury.

If we avoid these problems, this is a damned good team, and I can't wait for the season to begin.

And the cool thing is...as long as it doesn't involve probably just Hinrich for the long-term, this team is so deep it can deal pretty well with injuries too
Balta1701-B
Adrian Griffin skipped practice with a sore back that also plagued him last season.
Trib blurb
Schalke
meh, I don't see Grif getting any minutes anyway. The only thing I remember him doing last year was that game in Milwaukee when Redd was lighting us up and Griff came in to slow him down.
DutheDoduhon21
will the bulls be "painting the town red" this year like last year?
Balta1701-B
The United Center will name the arena’s club level after Lexus, Toyota’s luxury vehicle brand, under a new sponsorship agreement with the Japanese automaker.

The “Lexus Club Level” will feature seats with waiter and waitress service and other amenities, according to a statement from the Chicago Bulls. Terms of the deal weren’t disclosed.

A plus to Lexus-driving Bulls fans: There will be designated parking spots in the club-level parking lots K and C specifically for fans driving Lexus vehicles, according to the statement.

“A major trend in sports marketing is rebranding areas within an arena,” said Steve Schanwald, executive vice-president of business operations for the Bulls. “We believe our new partnership will provide Lexus with a wonderful opportunity to deliver a direct, positive message to everyone who visits the United Center.”
Link
Balta1701-B
Bulls beat the Mavs by 10 last night. Lu led the way with 18 points on 6/7 shooting. TT added 13 points, 7 rebounds, in 26 minutes. 3 Turnovers, 2 fouls, 4/7 from the field and 5/7 from the line for TT. I could probably put up with those being his numbers for most of the season. Aaron Gray put up a double double playing mainly in the 4th. Gordon, Thabo, Smith, and Griffin all still DNP. Smith's health appears to be becoming something of a concern for Skiles, who wants him in the lineup somehwat to adapt more to his new team.
Balta1701-B
Anyone else think this ankle injury is really setting up Gordon for another slow start, just like he's seemed to have the last 2 years (both times winding up as the 6th man)?

Good to see Smith get into a game.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
I'd just like to say that Khryapa is crap and I don't want to see him step on the court for 1 second this season. Please get rid of him. Keep Gardner instead.
madisonsmadhouse
Viktor has a guarenteed contract, so that isn't going to happen.
TeaLeafReaderII
Skiles announced Gardner will be the 15th man, though his contract won't be guarunteed.

and Deng and Kirk are the captains.
Brian
Training camp is OVA!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.