IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Could this be the 1986 draft all over again?
madisonsmadhouse
post Jun 26 2006, 01:55 PM
Post #1

All-Star

Group: Administrator

Member No.: 21

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...cs-sports-print

Skiles knows risks

Coach Scott Skiles knows better than most the risks of the NBA draft and that's probably why it's unlikely the Bulls will be taking big ones.

"It's why it's not an exact science," said Skiles, who was the third-from-last pick in the first round in 1986 and went on to one of the longest careers of those picked in the round.

That draft was regarded as the worst ever with the most shocking failures in NBA draft history. Only Chuck Person, the best of the top picks, Ron Harper, John Salley and Arvydas Sabonis, who didn't come into the NBA until 1995, played longer than Skiles.

"I thought [knowing me] I was as good as anybody," said Skiles with the 20th anniversary of that draft this month. "But I knew I'd go somewhere between 15 and 25."

Skiles went 22 to Milwaukee. The lottery was a disaster and tragic with No. 2 pick Len Bias dead within a few days of a drug overdose and No. 3 Chris Washburn, No. 6 William Bedford and No. 7 Roy Tarpley all having drug problems. Others having short careers were No. 5 Kenny Walker, the Bulls' Brad Sellers at No. 9, John Williams at No. 12, Dwayne "Pearl" Washington at No. 13, Walter Berry at No. 14 and Maurice Martin at No. 16, playing 422 minutes in his career. Brad Daugherty was the No. 1 pick, by Cleveland.

There was talent, though mostly in the second round with Mark Price, Dennis Rodman, Johnny Newman, Nate McMillan, Kevin Duckworth and Jeff Hornacek.

If 1986 suggests anything for this year, it is to get a basketball player and stop betting on potential.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Jun 26 2006, 02:04 PM
Post #2

All-Star

Member No.: 43

I wouldn't go quite that far. For one, I seriously doubt that one of the players dies the day after the draft. Second, I'd hope that a good number of the top picks don't have drug problems.

I also don't see the top of this draft being anywhere near as un-productive as the 86 draft. Thomas and O'Bryant have significant bust potential, but I'm pretty confident that Aldridge, Bargnani, Roy, Morrison, and Gay will all be at least decent NBA players.

+Quote Post
sport1016
post Jun 26 2006, 02:11 PM
Post #3

Starter

Group: Global Moderators

Member No.: 98

I'd say it's at least a lesson in not drafting for potential in a weak draft.

If this draft is weak, that is a testament to the likelihood of thomas etc reaching their ceilings, Roy is the safest pick at the top. That's the way to go.

+Quote Post
SoxFan1
post Jun 26 2006, 02:26 PM
Post #4

Superstar

Member No.: 12

Don't draft Tyrus Thomas, Pax. smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 10:22 AM
Home | Home | Home | Home | Home