> Assistant Coach Talk...
SoxFan1
post Jun 24 2008, 12:30 PM
Post #1

Superstar

Group: Administrator

Member No.: 12

Bickerstaff Interviews With Bulls

Former Bobcats' Coach Bernie Bickerstaff interviewed for an assistant coach position with Vinny Del Negro and the Chicago Bulls on Monday, the Chicago Tribune is reporting.

Bickerstaff follows interviews with former Head Coaches Bob Hill, Paul Westphal, and Del Harris that took place last week.

Apparently Bob Hill is a lock, because he's been an NBA coach before and is close to Del Negro.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dasox24
post Jun 24 2008, 04:41 PM
Post #2

Starter

Group: Forum Moderator

Member No.: 84

I guess we can assume Hill will be on the staff for sure... I wouldn't mind Del Harris, not sure about Westphal or Bickerstaff. One thing I do want is some young blood on this staff, not just old head coach-types. Not that those types are bad, but a combination would be nice. We really do need a younger (former player?) coach who can better relate to the young guys on the team.

+Quote Post
Wanne
post Jun 24 2008, 05:23 PM
Post #3

6th Man

Group: Members
Member No.: 61

What about Scottie?....didn't he voice his desire to coach a while back?

+Quote Post
dasox24
post Jun 24 2008, 07:27 PM
Post #4

Starter

QUOTE (Wanne @ Jun 24 2008, 06:32 PM) *

Yeah, he did. If I remember correctly, he talked about being the head coach, but if he wouldn't mind learning the ropes as an assistant, I wouldn't mind trying him out. If he sucks as a coach, it's only 1 year. It would be worth a shot.

+Quote Post
DutheDoduhon21
post Jun 24 2008, 10:42 PM
Post #5

Leading Scorer

Member No.: 99

he did voice his desire to coach after he slamed half the players on our roster like tyrus and BG. i wouldnt mind any of the coaches listed above, i think they would all help our team in their own way. pax said in a press conference today he will have the coaches by the end of the week.

+Quote Post
Chisoxfn
post Jun 25 2008, 10:11 AM
Post #6

All-Star

Member No.: 3

I like a lot of those veteran assistant candidates. They all have a very good understanding of the game and should be assets to have on the staff.

+Quote Post
dasox24
post Jun 25 2008, 11:14 PM
Post #7

Starter

So I was listening to the K.C. Johnson chat on the Tribune's website, and it sounded like Bernie Bickerstaff and Del Harris are very likely to join the coaching staff. Bickerstaff would be the good player-relations guy and Harris is a very good developer of young players. Both would be great for the young guys on our team b/c they'd provide better communication and direction than the previous staff did.

+Quote Post
Chisoxfn
post Jun 26 2008, 09:42 AM
Post #8

All-Star

Oh man, I'm a big Del Harris fan. Those two would be tremendous hires and give the Bulls the best assistant staff they have had since the Phil Jackson days. Oh man I'd be thrilled to death if we landed those two.

+Quote Post
Chisoxfn
post Jun 29 2008, 08:52 PM
Post #9

All-Star

Bulls to Add TWolves Assistant
By Jason Gage
Chisport.com

Vinny Del Negro and John Paxson have been interviewing candidate after candidate for the open assistant coaching positions and it appears that the Bulls have settled on three names so far: Bernie Bickerstaff, Del Harris, and now Bob Ociepka.

Former NBA head coaches Bickerstaff and Harris are already in negotiations with the Bulls. Negotiations with Bick have gone smoothly while there has been a minor hold-up in the discussions with former Lakers head coach (and Mavs assistant) Del Harris.

Ociepka has years of experience and is considered a sharp “X’s & O’s” assistant. Below is his bio:

Bob Ociepka begins his 17th season as an NBA assistant coach and his first season with the Timberwolves. He spent the three previous three seasons (2003-06) as an assistant coach with the Milwaukee Bucks.

Ociepka has also worked for seven other NBA franchises: Indiana Pacers (1989-93), Los Angeles Clippers (1993–96), Philadelphia 76ers (1996-97), Cleveland Cavaliers (1999-2001) and the Detroit Pistons (1998-99, 2001-03). He also served as the Orlando Magic’s advance scout during the 1997-98 campaign.

A native of Chicago, Ociepka played college basketball at Quincy (Ill.) College. He began his career in the NBA with Detroit in the 1980s as a part-time volunteer scout while coaching high school basketball. In the early ‘80s, Ociepka was one of the Chicago area’s most respected prep coaches at Gordon Tech and York High Schools. On May 4, 2000, his coaching efforts were recognized as he was inducted into the Chicago Catholic League Hall of Fame.

Ociepka has authored two books on the game of basketball. His first effort, “Basketball Playbook: Plays From the Pros,” which was published in 1995, gives an overview of NBA strategies. His second book, “Basketball Playbook 2: More Plays from the Pros,” was published in 2001.

+Quote Post
DutheDoduhon21
post Jun 29 2008, 10:37 PM
Post #10

Leading Scorer

Member No.: 99

Bulls to Add TWolves Assistant

im not sure i understand the story, did they already sign ociepka or are they just in talks? i would really like to have bickerstaff and/or harris.

+Quote Post
dasox24
post Jun 29 2008, 11:12 PM
Post #11

Starter

If our coaching staff includes those 3 next year, I'll be pretty darn happy. Seems like we're gonna have a lot of experience on that bench next year. Should definitely help out not only the development of our players, but the development of Vinny as a coach. It'll be nice for him to have so much experience to lean back on.

+Quote Post
Chisoxfn
post Jun 30 2008, 09:48 AM
Post #12

All-Star

QUOTE (DutheDoduhon21 @ Jun 29 2008, 09:46 PM) *
im not sure i understand the story, did they already sign ociepka or are they just in talks? i would really like to have bickerstaff and/or harris.

Until they are announced, it isn't official, but everyone around the org is acting as if it is a done deal. Bickerstaff also sounds like a done deal and the only question is whether Harris is still on board or if Ociepka is getting hired instead of Harris (although the Bulls still act as if they are interested in Harris).

Del Harris is my favorite of all the assistants so I definately hope they can get through the impass in negotiations and we clearly know the impasse is over money as Harris is a very well thought of assistant (whom I really liked as a head coach).

+Quote Post
Chisoxfn
post Jun 30 2008, 08:04 PM
Post #13

All-Star

Bulls have confirmed the hiring of Bickerstaff and Ociepka. One of the other assistants expected to be hired is either Del Harris or Paul Westphal. Bulls are still negotiating with Harris despite the minor hiccup but Its anyones guess as to whether he joins the ranks.

If he does, I wouldn't expect the Bulls to push for Westphal, but bringing on Harris gives the Bulls a tremendous group of assistants.

+Quote Post
dasox24
post Jun 30 2008, 09:28 PM
Post #14

Starter

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 30 2008, 09:04 PM) *
Bulls have confirmed the hiring of Bickerstaff and Ociepka. One of the other assistants expected to be hired is either Del Harris or Paul Westphal. Bulls are still negotiating with Harris despite the minor hiccup but Its anyones guess as to whether he joins the ranks.

If he does, I wouldn't expect the Bulls to push for Westphal, but bringing on Harris gives the Bulls a tremendous group of assistants.

Great news... Here's a little article about it from the Tribune.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...1,5954554.story

Bulls hire 2 assistant coaches
Team hires Bickerstaff, Ociepka as assistants

By K.C. Johnson | Tribune staff reporter
9:25 PM CDT, June 30, 2008

Bernie Bickerstaff and Bob Ociepka have agreed to terms to be assistant coaches on Vinny Del Negro's first staff, sources said.

Negotiations with Del Harris hit some snags but are ongoing, meaning neither side would be surprised if talks concluded successfully or broke off.

Bob Hill is no longer under consideration, sources said, and Paul Westphal's status is unclear. Hill, Westphal, Harris and Bickerstaff all are veteran head coaches who were sought to assist Del Negro's transition.

Bickerstaff is 414-512 in stints with Seattle, Denver, Washington and Charlotte. He last coached in 2006-07, going 33-49 with the Bobcats before moving into management.

Ociepka owns 18 seasons of assistant-coaching experience with eight franchises, including his most recent stint in Minnesota. The Chicago native played at downstate Quincy College and also coached Gordon Tech and York High Schools. He's a member of the Chicago Catholic League Hall of Fame.

Besides veteran coaches, the Bulls will hire younger, development-type assistant coaches. Mike Brown served in that capacity last season.

+Quote Post
Chisoxfn
post Jul 1 2008, 06:42 PM
Post #15

All-Star

Monday's deadline passed with the Nuggets making no announcement on picking up the $972,581 qualifying offer of guard Yakhouba Diawara, which would make him an unrestricted free agent instead of restricted.

"I guess there's no tender," Diawara's agent, Buona Ndiaye said Monday night.

Diawara said he hadn't spoken to any Nuggets official for a month and had no idea whether the team still has interest in him.

Nuggets executive Mark Warkentien declined comment.

Diawara said his former Pepperdine coach, Paul Westphal, is close to becoming a Chicago assistant and he would have interest in signing there. Other teams expected to look at Diawara are Dallas, Miami and San Antonio.

Initial reports made it sound as if the talks with Paul Westphal had died, but it sounds like the Bulls are still taking about hiring him. My guess is it will be only one of Del Harris & Paul Westphal but as long as they get one of them I'd be thrilled. If they got two of them, we are talking about quite possibly the best set of assistants in the NBA. Harris has been a part of what I believe are two NBA titles, but Westphal is about as innovative of an offensive mind as it gets (former Pepperdine coach).

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 01:28 AM
Home | Home | Home | Home | Home