IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lots of interest in Tyrus Thomas, Bulls have established price; want to move Hinrich too
SoxFan1
post Feb 11 2010, 01:22 AM
Post #1

Superstar

Group: Administrator

Member No.: 12

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-t...o&type=lgns

After the Chicago Bulls suspended forward Tyrus Thomas(notes) for losing his temper with coach Vinny Del Negro, an interesting thing happened: More teams started calling the franchise’s front office wanting to talk about a trade.

Everyone understood Chicago executives are now determined to move Thomas, and a clear price has been established for suitors: Expiring contracts and a 2010 or future first-round draft pick, league sources told Yahoo! Sports. The Bulls are also exploring ways to package Thomas with guard Kirk Hinrich to free themselves of his contract.

The Charlotte Bobcats bid Acie Law, Flip Murray and their 2010 first-round pick, a league executive said. The Bobcats have been searching for a long, athletic forward like Thomas, the fourth pick in the 2007 draft, and are expected to be aggressive pursuers. Portland Trail Blazers general manager Kevin Pritchard made an offer they’ll have to improve upon to be taken seriously – one of his expiring contracts (Steve Blake or Travis Outlaw) and two future second-round draft picks.

The New York Knicks, Sacramento Kings, San Antonio Spurs, Denver Nuggets and New Orleans Hornets are among the multiple teams who’ve spoken to Chicago about Thomas. The Bulls are telling people that they have several teams willing to offer first-round picks – in 2010 or beyond.

Bulls management is telling teams they expect to take the bidding right to the Feb. 18 deadline. The Bulls want to avoid the possibility of Thomas accepting a $6.2 million qualifying offer on the eve of this summer’s free agency, which would deliver a major dent to their salary-cap space. Thomas, 23, will be a restricted free agent this summer.

The Bulls are desperate to recruit Miami’s Dwyane Wade back to his hometown, but one source familiar with Wade’s thinking says he’s ”far less” inclined to bolt Miami unless Chicago has the ability to sign a ”significant” free agent to join him.

This is fantastic news.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Feb 11 2010, 08:12 AM
Post #2

Superstar

Member No.: 23

We better get this done.

+Quote Post
Chicago Bulls Fr...
post Feb 11 2010, 11:19 AM
Post #3

Superstar

Group: Members
Member No.: 73

Wow either deal seems good to me. I'm not a big fan of Flip Murray though, all he does is chuck shots all day long. I'd rather do the deal with Portland but it'd be even nicer if we could somehow get Rudy Fernandez instead.

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Feb 11 2010, 11:44 AM
Post #4

Superstar

One good thing to note; TT has a higher salary this year than either of the 2 possible proposed deals, so neither of them would knock the Bulls into Tax Territory this year.

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Feb 11 2010, 11:45 AM
Post #5

Superstar

QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ Feb 11 2010, 12:19 PM) *
it'd be even nicer if we could somehow get Rudy Fernandez instead.

Rudy Fernandez is a cap hit of $1.2 million for next year. May not sound like a whole lot, but it could easily be the difference between a max contract and $1 million below a max contract offer. Ditto goes for any draft holds also.

+Quote Post
eddog2
post Feb 12 2010, 06:40 PM
Post #6

Leading Scorer

Member No.: 193

QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Feb 11 2010, 11:45 AM) *
Rudy Fernandez is a cap hit of $1.2 million for next year. May not sound like a whole lot, but it could easily be the difference between a max contract and $1 million below a max contract offer. Ditto goes for any draft holds also.

But since Portland has always liked Kirk we can throw in Kirk/Tyrus for some of their expirings and Rudy. Then we have a very nice bench scorer or starter for us at the SG position while also clearing up a ton of cap space. I think for the Blazers would bite if we didn't ask for too much in return.

+Quote Post
ChWRoCk2
post Feb 15 2010, 11:47 AM
Post #7

6th Man

Member No.: 41

Any trade where we are getting a first round pick should be highly considered.

That seems like a bargain, especially if it is coupled with another player.

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Feb 15 2010, 01:55 PM
Post #8

Superstar

QUOTE (ChWRoCk2 @ Feb 15 2010, 12:47 PM) *
Any trade where we are getting a first round pick should be highly considered.

That seems like a bargain, especially if it is coupled with another player.

Don't forget, not every rumor out there is going to be genuine. The Bulls have plenty of motivation to leak "rumors" about a high deal that some other team is offering to try to drum up interest.

+Quote Post
chilord
post Feb 18 2010, 01:28 PM
Post #9

Bench

Member No.: 182

Well, looks like we got that pick, and didn't have to give up Hinrich to get it. Posted in another thread about that but another possible silver lining is the thought of getting consecutive first round picks... gotta love when that happens.

+Quote Post
eddog2
post Feb 19 2010, 12:31 PM
Post #10

Leading Scorer

Member No.: 193

Once again the Bulls pretended that they had interest in moving Hinrich but at the end of the day he's still a Bull and is still clogging up $9M in valuable cap space.

The $20M we have is enough to get a top free agent if they want to come but that's a big if. Having $29M would have been better for the Bulls b/c then we could have afforded to add two free agents like Bosh and Joe Johnson. Now we'll probably only be able to afford one or the other and we'll probably have to overpay just to have the one.

I'm glad we got a 1st round pick for Tyrus but the Bulls management has done a poor job of managing the roster. A couple of years ago we could have had Gasol for Deng & Gordon. I can't imagine what we could have had for Gordon/Tyrus or Gordon/Deng/Tyrus but I'm sure whatever it is it would have been very very nice. Instead we are stuck and have to hope that Wade or another top free agent thinks Rose is enough to get him a title.

I pray that it all works out but my point is that instead of having to leave things up to chance our managment could have been proactive and could have made some moves that got us another star player (Melo, Kobe, Gasol, Bosh, Amare . . . ) instead of letting B.G. go for nothing and then trading Tyrus for a 2012 first round protected pick.

If we end up not getting one of the top free agents next year I am sure management will be okay pocketing a good chunck of the $20M they reduced under the cap.

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Feb 19 2010, 02:09 PM
Post #11

Superstar

QUOTE (eddog2 @ Feb 19 2010, 01:31 PM) *
I'm glad we got a 1st round pick for Tyrus but the Bulls management has done a poor job of managing the roster. A couple of years ago we could have had Gasol for Deng & Gordon. I can't imagine what we could have had for Gordon/Tyrus or Gordon/Deng/Tyrus but I'm sure whatever it is it would have been very very nice. Instead we are stuck and have to hope that Wade or another top free agent thinks Rose is enough to get him a title.

Frankly, after seeing how the last few seasons evolved...a Gasol for Deng + Gordon deal a couple years ago would really have hurt the Bulls.

+Quote Post
Cowch
post Feb 19 2010, 03:21 PM
Post #12

Bench

Member No.: 64

QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Feb 19 2010, 01:09 PM) *
Frankly, after seeing how the last few seasons evolved...a Gasol for Deng + Gordon deal a couple years ago would really have hurt the Bulls.

Derrick Rose is the ONLY reason I'm forgiving of all the Bulls' front office's screw ups prior to the 2008 draft. I will only judge them on how they go from here on out. So far, it's been okay....but we'll see how this offseason goes before I make proper judgment.

+Quote Post
jorgefabregas
post Feb 19 2010, 08:18 PM
Post #13

Rookie

Member No.: 1,933

4 blocks and 10 rebounds for TT so far in his first game with Charlotte. I wish him well.

+Quote Post
DutheDoduhon21
post Feb 19 2010, 08:18 PM
Post #14

Leading Scorer

Member No.: 99

i know im probably the minority on this one but im glad be kept kirk. Hes a great captain for the team and does all the little things right. obviously it would have been nice to move his contract but i really think he is the glue of the team.

+Quote Post
Cowch
post Feb 19 2010, 08:33 PM
Post #15

Bench

Member No.: 64

QUOTE (DutheDoduhon21 @ Feb 19 2010, 07:18 PM) *
i know im probably the minority on this one but im glad be kept kirk. Hes a great captain for the team and does all the little things right. obviously it would have been nice to move his contract but i really think he is the glue of the team.

I also like Hinrich. I just wish he was scoring 4-5 more points a game and that he was making less money haha. But like you said, he does a lot of the little things right.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 02:51 PM
Home | Home | Home | Home | Home