> Drew Gooden to the Bulls?
Chisoxfn
post Jul 19 2006, 12:24 AM
Post #16

All-Star

Group: Administrator

Member No.: 3

QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Jul 18 2006, 10:47 PM) *
Is it possible though that Drew Gooden could work as a good counterweight to Ben Wallace in the middle? Specifically, Wallace isn't exactly an offensive threat, but he dominates on the Defensive end. Gooden is somewhat of the opposite...

Basically his job would be to score on the offensive end, and put another big body in the lane to clog it up so that Wallace can be more effective on the offensive boards, while on the defensive end, his job would just be to put his hands up and be big, while Wallace roams in behind him.

Wallace would at some level cover up for Gooden's flaws on the defensive end, so that if he missed a play he had someone as backup, but just having the 2nd big body down there could help Gooden's defense improve anyway because he'd know he had help, so he could be more aggressive. Z doesn't exactly strike me as the best big help defender in the league, maybe I'm wrong in that assessment though.

Of course, I'll be the first one to say that if he can't fit into Skiles' system, or if he wants Ben Wallace type dollars, he'd be a terrible guy to get, but I'm just sort of throwing out there that he might work in the "Rasheed" component alongside Big Ben, even if he doesn't fit the mold perfectly.

I defiantely agree with you that the Bulls would be able to get away with a guy like Gooden playing along side a guy like Ben. Offensively Gooden could be the man while on defense we'd expect him to work hard but he'd know that he'll alawys be guarding the weakest offensive player and he'll always be aided by the best defensive center in the league.

For the right price (right around the excemption so 5-6 mill) I think he'd be a significant upgrade.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HoofHearted
post Jul 19 2006, 02:05 AM
Post #17

Bench

Group: Members
Member No.: 24

No thanks to Gooden. I'll take the hard worker in Sweets for much less money any day. Gooden for ten a year is a joke, the guy has shown potential to be very good yes, but his consitency is terrible. A handful of good games a month surrounded by 10 equally craptacular efforts isnt something I would ever consider shelling out that kind of dough for. Now if he wants to get real and take a realistic paycheck I'd consider it, but that's unlikely. I'm on the record as a Sweets supporter, and I dont see a reason to give up on him for someone with such unproven consitency, all while paying the rediculous pricetag of 10 mil a season and two good pieces of depth. Yes, Sweets was also inconsistent last year while in terrible shape to play in Skiles offense, but I really want to see what he can bring to table this season with the effort he is putting into his game. I just hope Sweets is truly getting as much work done as we have heard, and comes ready to play in peak condion. I might be in the minority here, but the big guy can only get better, which will either help us through his play for us, or via trade for another piece. I also hope to high hell that Tyrus adds the bulk needed to stay at PF, because he could be VERY good there should he get bigger.

+Quote Post
spiderman
post Jul 19 2006, 07:01 AM
Post #18

10 Day Contract

Member No.: 227

QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Jul 19 2006, 12:47 AM) *
Is it possible though that Drew Gooden could work as a good counterweight to Ben Wallace in the middle? Specifically, Wallace isn't exactly an offensive threat, but he dominates on the Defensive end. Gooden is somewhat of the opposite...

Basically his job would be to score on the offensive end, and put another big body in the lane to clog it up so that Wallace can be more effective on the offensive boards, while on the defensive end, his job would just be to put his hands up and be big, while Wallace roams in behind him.

Wallace would at some level cover up for Gooden's flaws on the defensive end, so that if he missed a play he had someone as backup, but just having the 2nd big body down there could help Gooden's defense improve anyway because he'd know he had help, so he could be more aggressive. Z doesn't exactly strike me as the best big help defender in the league, maybe I'm wrong in that assessment though.

Of course, I'll be the first one to say that if he can't fit into Skiles' system, or if he wants Ben Wallace type dollars, he'd be a terrible guy to get, but I'm just sort of throwing out there that he might work in the "Rasheed" component alongside Big Ben, even if he doesn't fit the mold perfectly.

Gooden's ability to be a low post scorer and a pretty good rebounder would be a nice addition - I just think he's not really a Skiles player as he doesn't always play good defense and tends to have a questionable shot selection.

With the age of PJ Brown, and Ben Wallace's lack of scoring, I would prefer a dependable 3rd option who can play 30 minutes a night, and Gooden would be someone I'd take a hard look at with his ability to score. Of course, this won't happen with the money demands he has, but I do agree with you, it would be nice to have a dependable 3rd option.

+Quote Post
Bullies4Life
post Jul 19 2006, 01:45 PM
Post #19

Starter

Member No.: 118

"Okay, so I typically dont do this but if felt that this time was warranted.

I have a buddy that I work with who happens to know a close associate of John Paxson. He spoke with this guy yesterday afternoon. According to the associate, Paxson has one more move up his sleave. I asked my buddy if he had any details as to who and he said no, they guy didnt give any names. But based on the "reading between the lines" method, he got the notion that a S&T for Gooden is in the works.

Now I have known this guy for about 6 years and he doesnt come off as being the type of person that fabricates things. But he said that this guy that knows Paxson is fairly certain that Paxson isnt done dealing. But the detail in regards to who are pretty sketchy. So take that for what you will.

On a side note, he also told me that JR Smith was in deed forced upon Paxson. The only reason that Paxson accepted the deal was because he wanted to unload Chandler that bad. He said that Paxson wanted nothing to do with JR and that Paxson was already exploring deals for him before the trade was even completed. Thats why it took a little more time for the deal to become official. Paxson was waiting on Denver.

I know some of this may seem obvious but it kinda confirms alot of stuff to me. The organization was high on Chandler but he became the perverbial smoke machine. Always talked the talk but never walked the walk. According to my buddy's source, this was the reason that Paxson never spoke highly of Chandler. Oh, and one more thing, contrary to popular belief, Chandler was gone this summer regardless of whether or not we got Ben Wallace. My buddy's source claims that Paxson was hell bent on getting rid of Chandler due to his lack of consistent production.

I know some of you may question this. Hell, I probably would. But this is what I was told just 20 minutes ago and I though that it was worthy of its own thread."

-I saw this on realgm.... I DID NOT TYPED THIS, JUST COPIED AND PASTED IT HERE. Anyways, what do u guys think?.... If we do end up making a trade that involves Du, Sweets and maybe a filler for Gooden, are we ready to go ALL-THE-WAY this year, or most likely next year?

+Quote Post
spiderman
post Jul 19 2006, 08:52 PM
Post #20

10 Day Contract

Member No.: 227

QUOTE (Bullies4Life @ Jul 19 2006, 02:38 PM) *

I have a buddy that I work with who happens to know a close associate of John Paxson. He spoke with this guy yesterday afternoon. According to the associate, Paxson has one more move up his sleave. I asked my buddy if he had any details as to who and he said no, they guy didnt give any names. But based on the "reading between the lines" method, he got the notion that a S&T for Gooden is in the works.

Now I have known this guy for about 6 years and he doesnt come off as being the type of person that fabricates things. But he said that this guy that knows Paxson is fairly certain that Paxson isnt done dealing. But the detail in regards to who are pretty sketchy. So take that for what you will.

On a side note, he also told me that JR Smith was in deed forced upon Paxson. The only reason that Paxson accepted the deal was because he wanted to unload Chandler that bad. He said that Paxson wanted nothing to do with JR and that Paxson was already exploring deals for him before the trade was even completed. Thats why it took a little more time for the deal to become official. Paxson was waiting on Denver.

I know some of this may seem obvious but it kinda confirms alot of stuff to me. The organization was high on Chandler but he became the perverbial smoke machine. Always talked the talk but never walked the walk. According to my buddy's source, this was the reason that Paxson never spoke highly of Chandler. Oh, and one more thing, contrary to popular belief, Chandler was gone this summer regardless of whether or not we got Ben Wallace. My buddy's source claims that Paxson was hell bent on getting rid of Chandler due to his lack of consistent production.

I know some of you may question this. Hell, I probably would. But this is what I was told just 20 minutes ago and I though that it was worthy of its own thread."

-I saw this on realgm.... I DID NOT TYPED THIS, JUST COPIED AND PASTED IT HERE. Anyways, what do u guys think?.... If we do end up making a trade that involves Du, Sweets and maybe a filler for Gooden, are we ready to go ALL-THE-WAY this year, or most likely next year?

I'm glad you didn't write that....I just don't think it's true that we're trying to trade for Gooden - not unless hie significantly lowers his contract demands. Would he upgrade the team ? I think so, forming a nice 3 man rotation with him, PJ Brown and Ben Wallace, but I don't see Paxson taking on another big contract..basically, taking on the contract that the just traded away (Chandler's).

+Quote Post
Chisoxfn
post Jul 19 2006, 09:12 PM
Post #21

All-Star

QUOTE (Bullies4Life @ Jul 19 2006, 12:38 PM) *

The logic throughout that post makes a lot of sense. I'm not going to say that Pax has always slammed Chandler though because if he did he'd have never given him the extension he did in the first place. But the JR Smith stuff makes sense and I buy into the fact that Pax has another move up his sleeve. The real question is whether that move is coming this year or next year.

Pax has been quoted a few times about him having another move coming or that there is still more to be done but its been a real vague way that he words it. I wouldn't be shocked though if Gooden was that guy and if Gooden is that guy I guarantee you one thing, Hinrich went out and vouged for him and my guess is he'd have gone as far as to calling Gooden and seeing whats up and trying to put things together.

+Quote Post
dasox24
post Jul 20 2006, 03:12 AM
Post #22

Starter

Group: Forum Moderator

Member No.: 84

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jul 19 2006, 09:45 PM) *
I'm glad you didn't write that....I just don't think it's true that we're trying to trade for Gooden - not unless hie significantly lowers his contract demands. Would he upgrade the team ? I think so, forming a nice 3 man rotation with him, PJ Brown and Ben Wallace, but I don't see Paxson taking on another big contract..basically, taking on the contract that the just traded away (Chandler's).

That's pretty much my feeling as well. I don't think Pax would add a contract like Gooden supposedly wants ($10/yr) after just unloading Chandler's fat contract. That would pretty much negate the reason we got rid of Tyson and picked up Brown (to get his expiring contract). Though I'm not saying that's the only reason we got him b/c he does bring a lot of leadership and experience to the team. But, the expring contract was probably the biggest factor. That way, that money is off the books for next offseason when Gordon, Deng, and Noc will all be coming up for contract extentions.

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Jul 20 2006, 09:57 AM
Post #23

Superstar

Member No.: 23

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jul 20 2006, 02:05 AM) *
That's pretty much my feeling as well. I don't think Pax would add a contract like Gooden supposedly wants ($10/yr) after just unloading Chandler's fat contract. That would pretty much negate the reason we got rid of Tyson and picked up Brown (to get his expiring contract). Though I'm not saying that's the only reason we got him b/c he does bring a lot of leadership and experience to the team. But, the expring contract was probably the biggest factor. That way, that money is off the books for next offseason when Gordon, Deng, and Noc will all be coming up for contract extentions.

So the question then would be...how much of a contract would Pax be willing to offer? Just because Gooden wants $10 m doesn't mean he'll get it from anyone.

+Quote Post
Chisoxfn
post Jul 20 2006, 10:30 AM
Post #24

All-Star

Where are the reports that Gooden wants 10 million? I know I heard Wilcox wants 10 million and I've seen quite a few of you guys saying Gooden wants 10 but I don't recall seeing that read anywhere and I know the few times I saw his contract talked about (not quotes from him, rather analysts) and they said just over the midlevel will probably get him.

+Quote Post
dasox24
post Jul 20 2006, 11:20 AM
Post #25

Starter

Group: Forum Moderator

Member No.: 84

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 20 2006, 11:23 AM) *
Where are the reports that Gooden wants 10 million? I know I heard Wilcox wants 10 million and I've seen quite a few of you guys saying Gooden wants 10 but I don't recall seeing that read anywhere and I know the few times I saw his contract talked about (not quotes from him, rather analysts) and they said just over the midlevel will probably get him.

Well, if all he wants is the midlevel, then go get him Pax! I just said 10 mill b/c I'd read on here that that's what he wanted.

+Quote Post
Chisoxfn
post Jul 20 2006, 11:26 AM
Post #26

All-Star

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jul 20 2006, 10:13 AM) *
Well, if all he wants is the midlevel, then go get him Pax! I just said 10 mill b/c I'd read on here that that's what he wanted.

I was just reading somewhere that the Cavs have recently had some talks with Gooden and have made absolutely no progress with the negotiations. I'm guessing Pax is closely watching and waiting. I think the Cavs want to keep him, especially considering they are actively looking for more help down low (regardless of whether they keep Gooden or not).

+Quote Post
sport1016
post Jul 20 2006, 12:03 PM
Post #27

Starter

Group: Global Moderators

Member No.: 98

I KNOW I read somewhere, either espn insider or realgm, that he wants the same 60 million that Nene got. It compared him to Wilcox, and said that bc one team gave out one bad contract, the remaining bigs have an inflated sense of their market value.

I will post a link if i can find the article again....

+Quote Post
BigBen
post Jul 20 2006, 06:30 PM
Post #28

10 Day Contract

Member No.: 186

I make this trade yesterday. A front court rotation of Ben Wallace, Drew Gooden, and P.J. Brown would be pretty sick, IMO. The only problem is that we would be absolutely barren at backup PG without Duhon.

+Quote Post
Chisoxfn
post Jul 21 2006, 12:53 AM
Post #29

All-Star

QUOTE (BigBen @ Jul 20 2006, 05:23 PM) *
I make this trade yesterday. A front court rotation of Ben Wallace, Drew Gooden, and P.J. Brown would be pretty sick, IMO. The only problem is that we would be absolutely barren at backup PG without Duhon.

Losing Duhon would definately hurt, but the beauty is Miles has been relatively impressive and could be the 3 while Sef is very capable of running the point as a backguard. However, I'd be the first to admit we'd be screwed if we lost Kirk for any extended period of time because with Duhon gone we wouldn't really have anyone ready to run an offense (I can't say Sef is ready since he's a rook, even if he's played professionally for a few years).

However, I still think we could find some sort of quality vet after the deal. Not necessarily a great PG or anything, but a vet thats been around and could be a good role player (if the Bulls didn't have faith in Sef and Miles).

+Quote Post
Bullies4Life
post Jul 21 2006, 09:24 AM
Post #30

Starter

Member No.: 118

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 21 2006, 01:46 AM) *
However, I still think we could find some sort of quality vet after the deal. Not necessarily a great PG or anything, but a vet thats been around and could be a good role player (if the Bulls didn't have faith in Sef and Miles).

How bout a guy named Howard Eisely? ph34r.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 08:17 AM
Home | Home | Home | Home | Home