> 2012 offseason FA/trade rumor thread
Jake
post Jun 22 2012, 08:29 AM
Post #16

Bench

Group: Global Moderators

Member No.: 109

QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Jun 22 2012, 09:16 AM) *
Even if they don't have a lot of confidence in him...what's the real risk? This is, as far as I'm concerned, a busted season. Even if they stand pat, the team gets more expensive, older, and may darn well miss the playoffs with Deng missing 1/3+ of the season and Rose maybe the whole thing.

This is a great year to play the kids, and even if you don't like where one is now, maybe there's a lightbulb that goes on with playing time.

What I mean is that if they think little of Butler's talent, it would make more sense to go ahead and acquire someone that would better flourish with that playing time. They may want to bring someone else in even if they do like Jimmy, just for depth/hedging their bets if Jimmy doesn't work out. If they could turn Jimmy into a nice player, that'd be a nice late 1st round draft pick and the second one of its kind (Taj Gibson comes to mind) in recent years. That's quite a leap though.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Jun 22 2012, 09:05 AM
Post #17

Superstar

Group: Administrator

Member No.: 23

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 22 2012, 10:29 AM) *
What I mean is that if they think little of Butler's talent, it would make more sense to go ahead and acquire someone that would better flourish with that playing time. They may want to bring someone else in even if they do like Jimmy, just for depth/hedging their bets if Jimmy doesn't work out. If they could turn Jimmy into a nice player, that'd be a nice late 1st round draft pick and the second one of its kind (Taj Gibson comes to mind) in recent years. That's quite a leap though.

The difference with Butler is...he's an asset the Bulls already have. Bringing in someone with more talent takes either a draft pick or talent in a trade. If you can maximize Butler's value by working him hard this season when Rose and Deng are out, then that's a real useful accomplishment, even if he's just a "solid rotation piece" and not a star or anything.

+Quote Post
2nd_city_saint78...
post Jun 22 2012, 12:57 PM
Post #18

12th Man

Group: Members
Member No.: 183

Another rumor being floated out there is Deng for Richard Jefferson or Biedrins and the #7.

Looking at Biedrins, what happened to him after the 08-09 season?? He went from being an 11/11 guy, getting to the free throw line over 200 times, to a guy whos been a non factor who never got the line more than 31 times in a season.

Richard Jefferson has been fantastic from beyond the arc the last few years, shooting above 40% the last 3 years. With Deng being traded he'd be a good replacement for a few years.

Picking at 7 takes you out of the running for Barnes and Beal but guys like J. Lamb, Ross, Rivers, and Waiters will all more than likely be there.

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Jun 22 2012, 01:29 PM
Post #19

All-Star

Member No.: 43

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 22 2012, 01:57 PM) *
Another rumor being floated out there is Deng for Richard Jefferson or Biedrins and the #7.

Looking at Biedrins, what happened to him after the 08-09 season?? He went from being an 11/11 guy, getting to the free throw line over 200 times, to a guy whos been a non factor who never got the line more than 31 times in a season.

Richard Jefferson has been fantastic from beyond the arc the last few years, shooting above 40% the last 3 years. With Deng being traded he'd be a good replacement for a few years.

Picking at 7 takes you out of the running for Barnes and Beal but guys like J. Lamb, Ross, Rivers, and Waiters will all more than likely be there.

He was never really any good. He was athletic, that was about it. He has basically no skills, fouls a ton on defense and now he's terrified of getting fouled because he's a comically bad FT shooter. A lot of guys put up stats on those Warriors teams given their pace of play. It also helps that he was their only real interior player.

+Quote Post
2nd_city_saint78...
post Jun 22 2012, 02:38 PM
Post #20

12th Man

What do you think about Jefferson for a few years? I like the deal, Jeffersons not the scorer Deng is anymore but the if they grab the right SG in the draft whomever they pick can make up for that.

Next year I'd let Korver and Brewer go and use Butler as the backup SF. Really I'd do that regardless of what happens, as mentioned before the Bulls need to give Butler more minutes to see what he's going to be.

When healthy:

Rose/Hinrich (or whatever MLE PG they grab)
Rip/Rookie
Jefferson/Butler
Boozer/Taj
Noah/Asik

Hinrich, Rip, and Jefferson are 3 good vets for the rookie and Butler to learn from

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Jun 23 2012, 08:27 PM
Post #21

All-Star

Member No.: 43

Jefferson is alright. He's certainly developed into a good 3-point shooter and still has flashes of athleticism. Not a bad defender either. He's not exactly a bargain financially though, especially given he's a role player now and is fairly old now.

It'd depend on what kind of rookie they got, it'd definitely have to be someone with good potential.

+Quote Post
Jake
post Jun 23 2012, 10:02 PM
Post #22

Bench

Are we saying we bring in Jefferson in lieu of Deng because we improve our draft position? If so, I might be okay with that. A good draft with two 1st round picks could really heal some of these wounds.

+Quote Post
2nd_city_saint78...
post Jun 24 2012, 02:35 AM
Post #23

12th Man

I think a veteran "role player" like Jefferson would be perfect going forward. Especially next year, I wanna see what the Bulls have in Jimmy Butler, he has impressed me when he's on the court. A guy like RJ won't log as many minutes as Deng so it would mean more time for Butler.

So basically the trade means:

-More Jimmy Butler, which I like
-We add our Shane Battier, which worked for the champs.
-We potentially add a young starting SG. Bulls have drafted pretty good the last few years, I trust they pick the right guy between Ross, Rivers, and Lamb. I think they're all better than what they've thrown out there at SG the last 2 years

In said situation I think Terrance Ross would be the best pick because he's capable of paying the 2 and the 3. When the time comes and the Bulls have the money to offer a big contract they can target a SF OR a SG with Ross being able to slide to the other position.

It'd be pretty sweet if Jefferson doesn't pick up his player option next year for whatever reason and they amnesty Booze. This sets you up for a run at Harden, Martin, Ellis, Evans (after he has a monster year I'm predicting now), or Josh Smith. A Rose-Harden-Ross-Taj-Noah lineup is pretty sick, if Ross turns out to be good, or hell Butler turns out to be good then that is no doubt a championship caliber team. Once Mirotic comes over a bench of Mirotic, Butler, Asik, #29 this year (D.Lamb? trade up for Wroten? trade down for Taylor/Machado/Intl. prospect), next years draft pick/MLE is a pretty good looking bench as well.

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Jun 24 2012, 10:27 AM
Post #24

Superstar

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 24 2012, 04:35 AM) *
-We add our Shane Battier, which worked for the champs.

Don't mistake wind up having won the title with having made moves that should be followed. They won that title because of the big players, not because of the role players.

+Quote Post
Jake
post Jun 24 2012, 10:55 AM
Post #25

Bench

I'm also uncertain what Jefferson has in common with Shane Battier. I was always a big fan of Shane's though.

It's hard for me to take a lineup that only has 2 starters in common with the one that went to the ECF and includes two players that have never started in the NBA before and know that it is a championship squad. I like Harden but I'm uncertain of our ability to acquire him and I don't think I want to give him a max contract, which he may get from a struggling team trying to make its mark.

A trade that gets us a high draft pick this year and a subsequent good 2 draft picks in the first round could certainly alter the trajectory of this franchise, but that's true for every club.

+Quote Post
Quinarvy
post Jun 24 2012, 11:04 AM
Post #26

Bench

Member No.: 1,962

Everyone does realize Jefferon is pretty damn terrible, right?

From the internet rumor mill the Bulls want cap space, a serviceable player, and a pick for Deng +.

+Quote Post
Jake
post Jun 24 2012, 11:07 AM
Post #27

Bench

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 24 2012, 12:04 PM) *
Everyone does realize Jefferon is pretty damn terrible, right?

From the internet rumor mill the Bulls want cap space, a serviceable player, and a pick for Deng +.

The more I think about it, the more I think we'll do a deal with Sacramento.

From their end though, I have to wonder how eager a struggling team like that is to give up a high draft pick. I suppose they may not think highly of the draft and just want to bring in an All-Star SF since Luol is as known an entity as they come.

+Quote Post
2nd_city_saint78...
post Jun 24 2012, 11:42 AM
Post #28

12th Man

Richard Jefferson would be a Keith Boogans type starter only a better shooter. He'll give you good D and hit a few big 3s. His 3 point percentage has been over 40% the last 3 years...He sounds like the kind of player everyone here wants, obviously not the ideal one, but he's a guy they can kick it out to when teams collapse on Derrick.

The Battier comparison was kinda out of left field, I was a lil tipsy last night. Basically I guess my thinking was hes a veteran SF role player who can hit a big 3, but looking at Shanes stats he hasn't exactly been a great 3 point shooter.

RJ would be serviceable for a year or 2 if he keeps up the high percentage from beyond the arc, and if the 7 pick turns out to be good then it was a good trade.

+Quote Post
Quinarvy
post Jun 24 2012, 12:07 PM
Post #29

Bench

Member No.: 1,962

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 24 2012, 12:42 PM) *
Richard Jefferson would be a Keith Boogans type starter only a better shooter. He'll give you good D and hit a few big 3s. His 3 point percentage has been over 40% the last 3 years...He sounds like the kind of player everyone here wants, obviously not the ideal one, but he's a guy they can kick it out to when teams collapse on Derrick.

The Battier comparison was kinda out of left field, I was a lil tipsy last night. Basically I guess my thinking was hes a veteran SF role player who can hit a big 3, but looking at Shanes stats he hasn't exactly been a great 3 point shooter.

RJ would be serviceable for a year or 2 if he keeps up the high percentage from beyond the arc, and if the 7 pick turns out to be good then it was a good trade.

Jefferon is not a good defender.

And Bogans sucks.

Most Bulls fans want guys who can create their own shot to take pressure off of Rose.

I'll take the 5 + Garcia for Deng because than we also get the MLE back and Garcia would be gone next year. Jefferson will cost us over $20M total, while Garcia will be around $6M. Then we also get Barnes. We won't get Barnes in a deal with GS.

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Jun 24 2012, 12:51 PM
Post #30

Superstar

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 24 2012, 01:07 PM) *
The more I think about it, the more I think we'll do a deal with Sacramento.

From their end though, I have to wonder how eager a struggling team like that is to give up a high draft pick. I suppose they may not think highly of the draft and just want to bring in an All-Star SF since Luol is as known an entity as they come.

Sacto would make sense but the guy they might be willing to part with...Evans...I'm not sure if the Bulls would be confident enough to want him.

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 02:05 AM
Home | Home | Home | Home | Home