> 2012 offseason FA/trade rumor thread
Jake
post Jun 24 2012, 01:14 PM
Post #31

Bench

Group: Global Moderators

Member No.: 109

QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Jun 24 2012, 01:51 PM) *
Sacto would make sense but the guy they might be willing to part with...Evans...I'm not sure if the Bulls would be confident enough to want him.

I'm thinking more along the lines of getting a Garcia back just so we don't have to part with anything else.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2nd_city_saint78...
post Jun 24 2012, 01:18 PM
Post #32

12th Man

Group: Members
Member No.: 183

QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Jun 24 2012, 12:51 PM) *
Sacto would make sense but the guy they might be willing to part with...Evans...I'm not sure if the Bulls would be confident enough to want him.

He'd certainly make me happy lol.

He can play the point while Derricks out then move to SG or even SF once Rose comes back.

If he doesn't work out let him go next year, amnesty booze and pick up one of the good FA SGs.

Of course they cant amnesty boozer if Taj goes in the trade so that changes things...If you can pull the deal off without Taj then you do it all day.

+Quote Post
Jake
post Jun 24 2012, 01:22 PM
Post #33

Bench

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 24 2012, 02:18 PM) *
He'd certainly make me happy lol.

He can play the point while Derricks out then move to SG or even SF once Rose comes back.

If he doesn't work out let him go next year, amnesty booze and pick up one of the good FA SGs.

I don't want to trade the Charlotte pick to get him.

+Quote Post
2nd_city_saint78...
post Jun 24 2012, 02:26 PM
Post #34

12th Man

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 24 2012, 01:22 PM) *
I don't want to trade the Charlotte pick to get him.

Understandable, but what are the odds that pick is gonna be better than Tyreke Evans who should be in his prime by the time we get that pick.

I'd be happy with either deal. The Evans deal makes us better this coming up year, the Garcia deal makes better the following year as I'm sure one of Harden, Ellis, or Martin will become FA.

If Evans is the guy can we resign him without the amnesty of Boozer?? Meaning is a Rose-Evans-Barnes-Boozer-Noah possible while still holding onto Taj, Omer, Butler, #29, and a vet on the bench??

We still don't know what kind of starter Taj will be and I think Boozer will still be a better offensive option.

Wait till Mirotic comes over to give Boozer the boot.

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Jun 24 2012, 02:37 PM
Post #35

Superstar

Group: Administrator

Member No.: 23

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 24 2012, 04:26 PM) *
Understandable, but what are the odds that pick is gonna be better than Tyreke Evans who should be in his prime by the time we get that pick.

I'd be happy with either deal. The Evans deal makes us better this coming up year, the Garcia deal makes better the following year as I'm sure one of Harden, Ellis, or Martin will become FA.

If Evans is the guy can we resign him without the amnesty of Boozer?? Meaning is a Rose-Evans-Barnes-Boozer-Noah possible while still holding onto Taj, Omer, Butler, #29, and a vet on the bench??

We still don't know what kind of starter Taj will be and I think Boozer will still be a better offensive option.

Wait till Mirotic comes over to give Boozer the boot.

You can always resign your own guys...the question is whether you want to pay the luxury tax to do it.

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Jun 24 2012, 02:38 PM
Post #36

Superstar

The Bulls want to give Omer Asik and Taj Gibson new deals, so they’re exploring ways to trade Luol Deng and/or Joakim Noah to teams that can send them a trade exception and a No. 1 pick.
NY Daily News

+Quote Post
2nd_city_saint78...
post Jun 24 2012, 02:45 PM
Post #37

12th Man

QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Jun 24 2012, 02:37 PM) *
You can always resign your own guys...the question is whether you want to pay the luxury tax to do it.

I don't know what Reinsdorf is working with financially but I would do it if he has the money to.

QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Jun 24 2012, 02:38 PM) *

trade exception=expiring contract?

That sounds like Deng for Garcia and #5.

+Quote Post
Jake
post Jun 24 2012, 02:47 PM
Post #38

Bench

I'm holding on to that draft pick over Tyreke Evans. I don't think he fits that well with this club based on previous discussion. He would be a nice stop gap for this season, but I don't know that you're going to get much value from him once the high volume shooter Derrick returns. Maybe.

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Jun 24 2012, 03:00 PM
Post #39

Superstar

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 24 2012, 04:45 PM) *
I don't know what Reinsdorf is working with financially but I would do it if he has the money to.

JR absolutely havs the money to go over the luxury tax line, but if you go over that line, it costs you like $10 million+ per season, so it's a major profitability hit.

+Quote Post
2nd_city_saint78...
post Jun 24 2012, 03:19 PM
Post #40

12th Man

QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Jun 24 2012, 03:00 PM) *
JR absolutely havs the money to go over the luxury tax line, but if you go over that line, it costs you like $10 million+ per season, so it's a major profitability hit.

Oh wow, didn't know it was going to be that big of a hit...

I think Evans turns into a real good player, kids only 22 years old and he's still working with the "shot doc" all offseason apparently...

Here's a link to this shot doc guy There's a video of him working with Evans on the front page.

http://keithshotdocveney.com/index.php/tra...oc/pro-training

He's worked with Dirk, Peirce, Caron Butler, and Ben Gordon amung others..

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Jun 24 2012, 03:47 PM
Post #41

Superstar

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 24 2012, 05:19 PM) *
Oh wow, didn't know it was going to be that big of a hit...

If you go over the Luxury tax line, the first season you pay something like $1.5 for every dollar over the line, then it gets harsher with time, becomes $2 the next year, somemthing like that.

So if you go over the luxury tax line by $2 million you take a $1-2 million hit. If you go over by $5 million, pretty quickly it's a $5 million hit. The Heat are over the tax line by like $7 million right now.

The other part though...if you're over the tax line, you also lose revenue from the other teams over the tax. If you're over the tax line, you pay money out, you do not receive money, and so the penalty for going $1 over the luxury tax line is close to $4 million.

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Jun 24 2012, 03:53 PM
Post #42

Superstar

Link
"I believe there is always to some extent truth behind rumors," Deng said. "But as an athlete, if you get caught up in them, you are really wasting your time because it's not something you can control.

"If it's not true, a GM could always come out and say it's not true. But if a GM doesn't come out and say it, there are probably talks. And there should be. If I was a GM I would be shopping players around, too. I've got to show that I'm doing something.

"A lot of GMs don't just sit there, they're trying their options. Me, I always say there are two things when trades happen -- if I was to be let go by a team and nobody picks me up, that's probably the worst thing. But whenever you hear your name in a trade, that means there is somebody at the other end who wants you.

"As much as I want to stay on the team -- I love Chicago, I love the Bulls -- at the same time, I know the business part of it. Sooner or later, all the rumors are going to come up."

The apparent unease between the team and Deng stems from the end of the Bulls' season when, following their first-round playoff exit to the Philadelphia 76ers, Deng insisted he would not alter his long-held plans to represent Britain, the country that granted his family political asylum from the Sudan, in the Olympics.

Deng, who was raised from the age of 10 in London, had been carrying a wrist ligament injury for much of the season, yet still led the league in minutes with 39.4 per game.

However, Bulls management told Deng it would have preferred him to miss the Olympics -- the first in which Britain will enter a basketball team since 1948 -- in order to undergo surgery that would ensure his health for the start of the 2012-13 NBA season.

In a tense exit interview before Deng left Chicago, he told Bulls management that he would not entertain the prospect of missing out on the Games and presented an argument that he might not, in any case, require surgery before the start of the season.

Deng, though, does not believe the Bulls have acted in response to his stance.

"I don't think so," he said. "Me and (coach Tom Thibodeau) have a very close relationship. I spoke to (GM) Gar (Forman), I spoke to (VP of basketball operations John) Paxson, and it's one of those things you don't want to bring up.

"He's doing his job. As much as I'm playing basketball, working out, I'm doing my job. You just let it be. If it's going on, it's going on. At the end of the day there are no hard feelings and I'm not a 21-year-old kid who will get upset by it. I understand the game.

"I wouldn't want me to play (in the Olympics) either. Pax is an athlete and, as an athlete who used to play, Pax understands me wanting to play. But as a GM that's his job to try and get the team healthy and get the team ready for next year. I understand both sides to it.

"But it comes down to an injury that happened at the wrong time. I just try to let people know I'm going to be OK."

+Quote Post
Jake
post Jun 24 2012, 04:27 PM
Post #43

Bench

Sounds like the same response Matt Thornton gave. No sour grapes, but it is what it is. Luol is a good guy.

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Jun 24 2012, 05:17 PM
Post #44

All-Star

Member No.: 43

QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Jun 24 2012, 04:47 PM) *
If you go over the Luxury tax line, the first season you pay something like $1.5 for every dollar over the line, then it gets harsher with time, becomes $2 the next year, somemthing like that.

So if you go over the luxury tax line by $2 million you take a $1-2 million hit. If you go over by $5 million, pretty quickly it's a $5 million hit. The Heat are over the tax line by like $7 million right now.

The other part though...if you're over the tax line, you also lose revenue from the other teams over the tax. If you're over the tax line, you pay money out, you do not receive money, and so the penalty for going $1 over the luxury tax line is close to $4 million.

That's not exactly how it works. Here's a link to the full table of the rates:

Luxury Tax FAQ

Two things to note:

1) The increased rates don't take effect until 2013/2014.

2) The real killer is if you're a repeat offender. However, that can't hurt you until 2014/2015 at the earliest, and that's only if you were a tax-payer the first 3 years of the CBA (unless hoopshype is lieing to me, the Bulls were just under it this year).

Your last part doesn't really make any sense since teams like the Bulls, Knicks and Lakers wouldn't be terribly likely to get luxury tax money anyways.

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Jun 24 2012, 05:20 PM
Post #45

Superstar

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 24 2012, 07:17 PM) *
That's not exactly how it works. Here's a link to the full table of the rates:

Luxury Tax FAQ

Two things to note:

1) The increased rates don't take effect until 2013/2014.

2) The real killer is if you're a repeat offender. However, that can't hurt you until 2014/2015 at the earliest, and that's only if you were a tax-payer the first 3 years of the CBA (unless hoopshype is lieing to me, the Bulls were just under it this year).

Your last part doesn't really make any sense since teams like the Bulls, Knicks and Lakers wouldn't be terribly likely to get luxury tax money anyways.

Here's the clause on redistribution from that link:
Up to 50% of the tax money may be given to non-taxpaying teams. Note that there is no requirement that any of the tax money be distributed to teams in this manner.
Any tax money not distributed to teams will be used for "league purposes." In other words, at least 50% of the tax revenue will be used for league purposes each season.

"League purposes" essentially means for any purpose the league decides, including distributing the money back to teams. The league decided that in 2011-12, 100% of the tax revenue will be used as a funding source for the league's revenue sharing program (see question number 24). Starting in 2012-13, 50% of the tax revenue will be used as a funding source for the revenue sharing program, and the remaining 50% will be distributed to non-taxpaying teams in equal shares.

To understand the consequence of crossing the tax line, consider a team just below the tax line that suffers injuries and needs to sign a replacement player. This team would pay the player's salary, pay tax on the amount by which they are now above the tax line, and forfeit any tax distribution they otherwise may have received.
The Bulls haven't been over the Tax line since Jordan, so the Bulls have been a "non-taxpaying team" since then. The Bulls get about $3-$4 million/year in payout from the luxury tax paying teams. If the Bulls cross that line, they lose that money.

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 03:51 AM
Home | Home | Home | Home | Home