Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> What Team Would You Like To Own, Fan Loyalty Aside
eddog2
post Jul 21 2009, 05:02 PM
Post #1

Leading Scorer

Group: Members
Member No.: 193

Without getting into your loyalty to the Bulls or another team, what team would you like to own today and for the next 10 years? Make a case for your decision based on what you things like cap flexibility, current stars, potential for winning titles over the next 10 years stretch, and other things that come to mind. Try to be realistic when taking cap flexibility into account b/c it is not likely that a big time free agent will go to a small market team.

I'd have to go with the Magic at this point. They have everything going for them. They just made it to the finals with a relatively young core and they just added a veteran in Vince Carter that has plenty in the tank and fills the go to scorer role they needed from the SG position. Vince is on the books for two more years (team option for the 3rd) which means his massive $17M will be available to add to the championship puzzle. Dwight is a freak of nature and will dominate the center position (barring injury) for the next 8-10 years. I really like that their cap space is mainly taken up by all-star caliber players and that Lewis's big contract will come of the books the same year that Dwight's extension goes into effect. That means that they'll have the opportunity to pair Dwight up with other stars down the road while going for it all now. They also have Nelson signed relatively cheap for the next 4 seasons.

Orlando also is a destination that will attract future stars. It's a big enough market and it is always nice to play in Florida. It probably does not have the appeal of Miami but playing next to Dwight is enough appeal. That appeal was evidenced by all the mid-low level free agents that flocked to Orlando this off-season in an attempt to be on a winning team.

Dwight - Turns 24 this year
Nelson - Turns 28 next Feb
Lewis - Turns 30 this year
Gortat - Turns 26 in Feb

If the Magic were not in a position to win the next 3 titles I would have to go with either the Thunder, Blazers in terms of teams I'd want to own. I believe the Thunder are up and coming. Both the Blazers and Thunder have good/great young talent at every position. And the Thunder have Durant who is really young and is a special franchise type player.

I'd then go with the Bulls. As much as I do not like our management staff and their ability to put together a title we did luck into Rose which in itself is enough to make a big market like Chicago marketable again. smile.gif Rose is a special franchise talent and if the Bulls can pair him with another star they will be in title contention for years to come. Chicago has good young talent for potential trades and cap flexibility to sign a great free agent. Noah/Tyrus/Deng (and hopefully Johnson) make up a very nice young core to build upon with Kirk handling the dirty work. Salmon's is underpaid in the short term compared to the production he gives you. If Asik comes over and is a good defensive center off the bench or more we'll have a very nice lineup to work with going into 2010 and beyond.

The Bulls young core leaves plenty of room for a dynasty.
Noah - 25 in Feb
Tyrus - 23 in Aug
Asik - 23 (Jul 4th birthday)
Rose - 21 in Oct
Johnson - 23 in Feb
Deng - 25 in Apr
Kirk - 29 in Jan
Salmons - 30 in Dec
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 10:36 AM
Home | Home | Home | Home | Home